Skip to Main Content

Private Foundations

Private Foundations

Avera Foundation
Sioux Falls
Families using any Avera service may apply for assistance through the statewide Avera Foundation which supports needed services, provides life-saving medications, lodging to be near loved ones, transportation and many needed educational programs and materials. The cases are assessed on a case to case basis. It is a one-time approval. Request information from an Avera Social Worker.

Children's Miracle Network (CMN)

Sioux Falls
Direct Child Family Assistance through Sanford Children's Hospital

Rapid City
Monument Health Rapid City Hospital
Families may apply for assistance through CMN. Requests must be based on meaningful medical services or supports and meet other criteria. Consideration is on a case by case basis.

First Hand Foundation
For care in the United States, download the US application for funding
For care outside the United States, contact our case managers by email at

Golden Halo Foundation
The Golden Halo Foundation provides financial assistance, in the way of grants, to help those children with medical conditions that require specialized care. The financial assistance is to help seek medical treatment, diagnostic evaluations, durable medical equipment and expenses related to securing medical care. The Foundation currently serves families in the Midwest region.

Documents Needed:

  • Completed application form.
  • Letter(s) from physician and/or PT, OT or SLP that includes recommendation for request and benefits of the request for the child.
  • Official receipts/invoice/estimate on procedure or equipment requested, if discount is available, and name and address of third party who will receive payment.
  • Letter of denial from insurance or Medicaid, if applicable.
  • Completed HIPAA Authorization Form.
  • Child's photo.
  • Completed Photo Consent Form.


HealthWell Foundation Grants (English and Spanish)
The HealthWell Foundation is committed to addressing the needs of individuals with insurance who cannot afford their co-payments, coinsurance, and premiums for important medical treatments. Their vision is to ensure that no patient goes without health care because they cannot afford it.

Assistance Qualifications:

  • You are being treated for a disease that we currently cover.
  • You have insurance and it covers your medication. You must have some form of health insurance that covers part of the cost of your treatment.
  • Your income falls within our guidelines.
  • You are receiving treatment in the United States.


  • If you are the person with the diagnosis or a family member, parent, guardian, friend, or power of attorney of the patient then start the application process.
  • If you are a health care provider, staff from a provider's office, a pharmacy representative, or social worker, you can apply on behalf of your patient using our Provider Portal or Pharmacy Portal.


888-396-EYES (3937)
American Optometric Association optometrist provide a comprehensive eye and vision assessments for infants within the first year of life regardless of a family's income or access to insurance coverage. Assessments at six to twelve months of age can determine healthy development of vision. Click on Dr. Locator to find local care online or call.

Make-A-Wish South Dakota & Montana
Make-a-Wish grants wishes for children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.

Who Is Eligible? A child with a life-threatening medical condition who has reached the age of 2 ½ and is younger than 18 at the time of referral is potentially eligible for a wish.

Who Can Refer a Child? Out of respect for the privacy of the children and families we serve, children who may be eligible to receive a wish can be referred by one of four sources:

  • Medical professionals (typically a doctor, nurse, social worker or child-life specialist).
  • Parents/legal guardians of the potential wish kid.
  • Potential wish kids.
  • Family members with detailed knowledge of the child's current medical condition.

They will only contact you after a wish referral has been submitted by an approved source.

If you are not eligible to refer a child, please share the referral inquiry form with the family or ask them to visit our website.

Meyer Dana Smile Foundation
220 Ryan Road
Spearfish, SD 57783
Meyer Dana Smile Foundation is a nonprofit organization that was created to help individuals who are not able to afford orthodontic care have the opportunity to get the smile they’ve always wanted. Recipients are chosen by a local board of directors.          

Smile for a Lifetime
Smile for a Lifetime is an international program that provides orthodontic care to disadvantaged children and young adults who normally would not be able to afford treatment. Smile for a Lifetime does not charge for the orthodontic treatment – participating orthodontists and orthodontic manufacturing companies provide FREE services, including the cost of one set of retainers. The only cost a family will incur is an initial $500 investment/application fee to help cover the cost of the program. 

Sunshyne Smiles Orthodontic Assistance Program, South Dakota Dental Foundation
The Sunshyne Smiles Program is a statewide program that helps provide orthodontic treatment to deserving South Dakota children who may not otherwise receive care.


  • Children are accepted to the program through a referral from a general dentist.
  • Eligibility is determined based on the severity of the child's orthodontic needs and their family's financial situation.
  • Participating families are to contribute $25 per month to the program for their child's orthodontic treatments of the course of 40 months.
  • Parent/guardian is to complete an application.


The HIKE Fund, Inc.
The Hearing Improvement Kids Endowment Fund provides hearing devices for children with hearing losses between the ages of newborn and 20.

How to Apply? Download application and refer to instructions.

Documentation Needed:

  • A letter from the parent(s) or guardian(s) explaining the financial need.
  • Statement of Income and Expenses.
  • A copy of last year's Federal Income Tax Return 1040 pages 1 & 2 and the most recent pay stub(s) from each wage earner (parents and/or guardians only).
  • A recent (not more than twelve (12) months old) audiogram AND quote from a licensed and/or certified audiologist and/or physician.
  • An itemized cost quotation from the supplier which should include cost of hearing aid(s) or device(s), cost of ear mold(s), professional fees (evaluation, fitting/dispensing fee, follow up visits, repairs/warranty per year, batteries, and insurance - loss or damage). Please give your supplier the portion of this application entitled, "Information for Supplier".


United Healthcare Children's Foundation
United Healthcare Children's Foundation provides grants of up to $5,000 annually per child ($10,000) lifetime max per child to help pay for medical services and equipment, such as physical, occupational and speech therapies, counseling services, surgeries, prescription medications, wheelchairs, orthotics, eye glasses and hearing aids.

Sign Up for Email